This narrative, extracted from the Club's Centenary Calendar - walks through the past 100years of changes at Astbury. Click the link to download the full document.
In April 1922 three young men came across an old bag of golf clubs in the Town Clerk's office in Chapel Street, Congleton. After concluding their business, the three men amused themselves by hitting golf balls in a field in Howey Hill Lane and before long the idea of forming a Golf Club was born. The club was named Astbury Golf Club with a membership of 64 and S J Forster was elected as Captain. Yearly subscriptions for membership were fixed as follows:Gentlemen - £1.1s.0d; Ladies - 15/-; Juveniles (15 - 18yrs) - 10/-. There are no records available but it is interesting to note that another club had previously played on part of the same land. It is believed the earlier club broke up in the early part of the First World War, about 1915. By 1st February 1924, £200 had been raised to purchase a new clubhouse which was duly opened in June 1924.
Thursday 3rd June 1965, the clubhouse was burned to the ground. In September 1965, the club purchased a total 38 acres of land on Peel Lane which included a barn. The new clubhouse was located on the north side of Peel lane on this land and this is where it remains today. The club celebrated its Golden Jubilee in October 1972
In 2021 the club ran a centenary fund - welcoming voluntary donations from members - reached close to £ 50,000. The 1st Tee refurbishment project which is phase 1 of that project is now completed. Phase 2 (again funded from the fund), will deliver an even more impressive improvement in the 18th Tee walkoff, a new glass balustrade around the patio (upstairs and down), and a continuance of the dry stone wall around the putting green and a new blow off / brush off area.