In April 1922 three young men came across an old bag of golf clubs in the Town Clerk's office in Chapel Street, Congleton. After concluding their business, the three men amused themselves by hitting golf balls in a field in Howey Hill Lane and before long the idea of forming a Golf Club was born. The club was named Astbury Golf Club with a membership of 64 and S J Forster was elected as Captain. Yearly subscriptions for membership were fixed as follows:Gentlemen - £1.1s.0d; Ladies - 15/-; Juveniles (15 - 18yrs) - 10/-. There are no records available but it is interesting to note that another club had previously played on part of the same land. It is believed the earlier club broke up in the early part of the First World War, about 1915. By 1st February 1924, £200 had been raised to purchase a new clubhouse which was duly opened in June 1924.